Our mathematics vision is to deepen the children's mathematical understanding through a mastery approach.
Mathematics is a creative and highly inter-connected discipline that has been developed over centuries, providing the solution to some of history's most intriguing problems. it is essential to everyday life, critical to science, technology and engineering, and necessary for financial literacy and most forms of employment. A high-quality mathematics education therefore provides a foundation for understanding the world, the ability to reason mathematically, an appreciation of the beauty and power of mathematics, and a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject.
At Downe Manor Primary School, we aim to make children's learning in mathematics relevant, practical,creative, exciting and engaging. Mathematics teaches children to calculate, communicate, reason and solve problems. It enables children to understand and appreciate relationships and pattern in both number and space in their everyday lives. We aim for children to achieve their fullest potential in this subject.
Characteristics of mathematicians
- An understanding of the important concepts and an ability to make connections within mathematics.
- A broad range of skills in using and applying mathematics.
- Fluent knowledge and recall of number facts and the number system.
- The ability to show initiative in solving problems in a wide range of contexts, including the new or unusual.
- The ability to think independently and to persevere when faced with challenges, showing a confidence of success.
- The ability to embrace the value of learning from mistakes and false starts.
- The ability to reason, generalise and make sense of solutions.
- Fluency in performing written and mental calculations and mathematical techniques.
- A wide range of mathematical vocabulary.
- A commitment to and passion for the subject.
3.2 South Africa