Intent: What does the curriculum intend to do? What do you want the children to learn, and what skills do you want them to acquire? Be clear on exactly what these aims are. What do your teachers think is the objective in teaching science?
- Having oversight of curriculum coverage and ensuring that the curriculum meets national requirements.
- Ensuring that colleagues are aware of expectations.
- Action planning for future development.
- Ensuring that appropriate resources are in place to deliver a rich and challenging curriculum.
Implementation: How do you put your curriculum plans into practice, and how do you ensure that your intent is being carried out? How likely it that the teaching methods used is will deliver the teacher’s objectives for each subject?
- Ensuring that teaching within the subject is strong and promotes the acquisition of key knowledge, building on prior learning.
- Leading professional development, providing guidance and support to colleagues.
- Oversee assessment.
- Making best use of financial and human resources to impact on standards.
- Promoting the subject and championing the subject with colleagues and pupils.
Impact: What progress do your children make? Have the children learnt what they are supposed to? Have they gained the knowledge and skills that they need? What is the potential impact on the subject teaching on the pupils?
Monitoring the effectiveness of teaching and the impact on learning and standards.
Evaluating and summarizing all aspects of the subject to define next steps for improvement.
Science Vision Statement
At Downe Manor Primary School, our vision is to provide children with a Science curriculum that enables them to explore and discover the world around them. To accomplish this, we aim to provide lessons rooted in scientific enquiry with practical hands-on experiences that encourage a deeper understanding and curiosity with questioning. We believe it is vital to promote and develop transferrable skills such as observation, communication and team work to evolve the whole child as a lifelong learner. Our objective is to provide lessons which consolidate prior knowledge, encourage deeper understanding and that are rooted in scientific vocabulary.
Click here for the long term plan