GovernorsRole of the Governing Body
The Governing Body sets the general direction of the school, looking at how it should best develop. This is done by reviewing and agreeing policies, targets and priorities and monitoring and reviewing aims and objectives.
The Governing Body must work closely with the Head Teacher and create a clear understanding of the challenges faced in managing a school. The Governing Body must feel able to question and challenge.
A school is a business and its stakeholders are the pupils. The Governing Body must have a professional attitude and use its collective skills to benefit the pupils. It must gather views, ask questions and decide what is best for the school. The Governing Body is answerable to parents and the wider community. The Governing Body is collectively responsible for setting the strategic direction of the school and for monitoring the schools performance.
Type of Governors
Elected by teaching and support staff
Elected by parents
Members of the local community elected by governors
Local authority governors
Nominated by Ealing Council political parties
Overall responsibilities of the Governor
- Help to shape the vision, ethos and direction of the school.
- Ensure the school operates with a view to promoting high standards of educational achievement
- Challenge and support the school so that weaknesses are tackled decisively and statutory responsibilities are met
- Hold the Leadership Team to account for the performance of the school
- Ensure sound management of resources including finance, human resources and infrastructure
- Ensure statutory policies and documents are in place and regularly reviewed, and that they are effective in meeting their desired aims
- Act as a good employer
- Fulfil its duty of care to staff, students, parents and others associated with the school
Full Governing Body
Governors of Downe Manor Primary Downe Manor Primary School operate a circle module. All Governors attend meetings instead of having separate committee meetings.
Governors of Downe Manor
Donna Dunlop – Chair of the Governing Board – Parent Governor
Charmaine Best – Vice Chair – Parent Governor
Sharon Kearns - Headteacher
Sean Gorman - Staff Governor
Olivia (Debbie) Allen - LA appointed Governor
Patricia (Millie) Jones - Co-opted Governor
Mark Coles - Co-opted Governor
Samantha Osbourne - Co-opted Governor
Sinduja (Sindy) Sivarajan - Co-opted Governor
Magdalena Murataj - Parent Governor