GovernorsRole of the Governing Body
The Governing Body sets the general strategic direction of the school, setting high expectations for standards for all children and ensuring the wider curriculum is available for all to access. This is done in meetings, by agreeing policies, targets and priorities and by governor monitoring and reviewing aims and objectives.
The Governing Body works closely with the Head Teacher and creates a clear understanding of the challenges faced in managing a school. The Governing Body holds the Head Teacher and Senior Leadership to account through questioning and monitoring.
The Governing Body all have a professional attitude and use its collective skills to ensure the children do as well as they possibly can. The Governing Body is collectively responsible for setting the strategic direction of the school and for monitoring the schools performance in order to improve.
Type of Governors
Elected by teaching and support staff
Elected by parents
Elected by governors
Local authority governors
Put forward either by the LA or by the community
Overall responsibilities of the Governor
- Help to shape the vision, ethos and direction of the school.
- Ensure the school operates with a view to promoting high standards of educational achievement
- Ensure financial probity and monitor school finances at least 6 times per annum
- Challenge and support the school so that weaknesses are tackled decisively and statutory responsibilities are met
- Hold the Leadership Team to account for the performance of the school
- Ensure sound management of resources including finance, human resources and infrastructure
- Ensure statutory policies and documents are in place and regularly reviewed by the school, and that practice reflects policy
- Act as a good employer
- Fulfil its duty of care to staff, students, parents and others associated with the school
Full Governing Body
Downe Manor Primary School operate a circle model of governance. All Governors attend all meetings.Governors of Downe Manor - Please click on Governors name for their biography.
Sharon Kearns – Headteacher
Mark Coles - Co-Chair of Governors
Trudy Quartey-Papafio- Co-Chair of Governors
Charmaine Best – Vice Chair
Leia Hunt - Staff Governor
Magdalena Murataj - Parent Governor
Ruth Rigby - Parent Governor
Sara Howe – Co-opted Governor
Nicola Finnerty- Co-opted Governor
Clerk to Governing Body
How to contact Governors
If you wish to contact a Governor please email the Clerk to the Governing Body: email@example.com your email will be forwarded onto them.